Bethune-Cookman took over the No. 1 spot in the Boxtorow.com/BASN media and coaches polls, following South Carolina State’s loss to Georgia Southern in the championship subdivision playoffs.
Albany State, the only black college program to claim a postseason victory so far, moved to the top of the Urban Sports News black college poll with a 30-28 win over Wingate in the Division II postseason.
SWAC Western champion Texas Southern remained at No. 1 in the new Dr. Cavil’s HBCU Major Division Football Top 10, with Bethune-Cookman falling to No. 3 and South Carolina State at No. 4.
“The beauty of college football is it isn’t over until the fat lady sings,” said John Posey, CEO of Urban Sports News. “The Golden Rams moved up the ladder slowly, but surely, and have positioned themselves to be national champions. How Bethune and Albany State do this weekend will go a long way in determining the 2010 Urban Sports News national champion. Texas Southern has a remote chance, but those early season losses are probably too much to overcome.”
The Sheridan Broadcasting Network issued its final black college football poll last week, with Albany State at No. 1, as well. Albany State climbed one place to No. 2 in the Boxtorow.com/BASN media poll.
Meanwhile, Grambling shot up three spots to No. 2 in the Dr. Cavil’s rankings after defeating Southern 38-17 in last Saturday’s nationally televised Bayou Classic. The Tigers also rose a spot to No. 3 in the Boxtorow.com/BASN media poll.
South Carolina State slipped to No. 4 in the Boxtorow.com/BASN media poll, but only dropped one place to No. 2 in its coaches poll. After knocking off SWAC Eastern division champ Alabama State, Division II Tuskegee is at No. 7 according to both USN and Boxtorow.
The Heritage Sports Radio Network concluded its black college football polling a week ago with South Carolina State at No. 1, followed by Bethune, Texas Southern and Grambling.
The final Sports Network/Fathead.com FCS Top-25 College Football Poll had South Carolina State and Bethune-Cookman at Nos. 12-13 respectively, and Grambling at No. 24. (Also receiving votes were Florida A&M, Texas Southern and Jackson State.) The AnyGivenSaturday.com FCS Top 25 poll ended in Week 12, as well, with South Carolina State at No. 12 and Bethune-Cookman at No. 16.
Bethune-Cookman was on an off week before playing host to New Hampshire in the championship subdivision playoffs this weekend.
Urban Sports News Black College Football Poll
Rank, team, record, USN comments
1. Albany State, 11-0. Escaped with a first round win over Wingate, 30-28. Next up: Regional-round meeting with Delta State (9-3).
2. Bethune-Cookman, 10-1. MEAC co-champion Wildcats host New Hampshire in FCS playoffs on Dec. 4.
3. Texas Southern, 8-3. The Tigers may be playing the best football among black colleges. Next up: SWAC Championship Game vs. Alabama State. Trap game.
4. Grambling, 9-2. Crushed Southern 38-17 in Bayou Classic. Game wasn’t as close as the score. Season over.
5. South Carolina State, 9-3. Miscues and turnovers lead to 41-16 loss to Wingate. Third straight playoff loss in first round. Season over.
6. Florida A&M, 8-3. MEAC co-Champion’s season is over.
7. Tuskegee, 9-2. Beat Alabama State 17-10 in Turkey Day Classic. Season over.
8. Jackson State, 8-3. Won rivalry game 27-14 over Alcorn State. Season over.
9. Prairie View, 7-4. Kevin Black at quarterback all season could have changed the landscape in the SWAC. Season over.
10. Shaw, 9-3. Lost Division II play-off game to Shepherd 40-6. Season over.
Others receiving consideration: Fort Valley State, Morehouse, Saint Augustine’s, Shaw, Winston Salem-State, Virginia State.
Boxtorow.com/BASN HBCU Media Top 10 Poll
Team, record, points, previous rank
1. Bethune-Cookman (12), 10-1, 183, 2
2. Albany State (5), 11-0, 170, 3
3. Grambling State (2), 9-2, 150, 4
4. South Carolina State (1), 9-3, 142, 1
5. Texas Southern 8-3, 111, 5
6. Florida A&M 8-3, 100, 6
7. Tuskegee 9-2, 98, 7
8. Jackson State 8-3, 53, 8
9. Morehouse 8-3, 32, 10
10. Alabama State 7-4, 32, 9
Others receiving votes: Fort Valley State 14, Shaw 11, Saint Augustine’s 3, Hampton 2, Prairie View A&M 1, Norfolk State 1.
The Dr. Cavil’s HBCU Major Division Football Top 10
First-place votes, record, total points, previous ranking, and next opponent
1. Texas Southern (8-3), (5), 104, 1 (open, next: SWAC Championship Game, Dec. 11)
2. Grambling State (9-2), (4), 101, 5 (beat Southern 38-17; season complete)
3. Bethune-Cookman (10-1), (2), 92, 2 (bye, vs, New Hampshire in D-I-FCS playoffs)
4. South Carolina State (9-3), 75, 3 (lost to Georgia Southern 41-16 in D-I-FCS playoffs; season complete)
5. Florida A&M (8-3), 67, 4 (season complete)
6. Alabama State (7-4), 48, 6 (lost to Tuskegee 17-10; next: SWAC Championship Game, Dec. 11)
7. Jackson State (8-3), 46, 7 (season complete)
8. Prairie View A&M (7-4), 39, 8 (season complete)
9. Hampton (6-5), 18, 9 (season complete)
10. Norfolk State (6-5), 6, 10 (season complete)
Also receiving votes: Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 5, Alcorn State 4, Morgan State 1.